Ending Discrimination in Housing based on Domestic Violence Victim Status & Source of Income
• Women are disproportionately affected by intimate partner violence, with more than one in three women experiencing rape, physical violence and/or stalking by an intimate partner in their lifetime.
• Nationally, 11% of evictions involve victims of domestic violence who are evicted due to abuse.
• Female-headed households account for 76% of all housing choice vouchers issued, including Section 8 vouchers.
The Women’s Equality Act would:
1. Prohibit building owners, managers and leasing agents from refusing to lease or sell, or evicting a tenant because of their status as a domestic violence victim
2. Create a task force to study the impact of discrimination based on source of income in housing, in particular discrimination against tenants receiving Section 8 rental assistance, with focus on any sex-based impact